Saturday, January 16, 2016

Secondary Gain Can Cripple

He staggered into the pain clinic barely able to walk. Out-patient back surgery had turned into a nightmare of extended in-patient recovery (sort of). When I called his name, and slowly walked with him to my office, he grabbed my arm and said "I wanna be a champ.  Can this make me a champ?"

He comes from the barrio, and has that Rocky Balboa toughness. So I took a chance, and said yes. (This is what the panel of Docs at the VA, assembled for my vetting there, sternly warned me to never do. Never mention possible postitive outcomes. CYA?) But that is another hospital, another saga.

Back to Rocky. Within minutes of my placing needles in the Dr. Zhu scalp points for his back and left leg, he was walking up and down the corridor without his walker, and more importantly, sitting and standing from his chair without holding on to the arms. I finished with a ASP darts in his left ear, and whispered into it, "Stop acting like a cripple!"

Of course I can't be this bold with everyone who comes to the Pain Clinic. But the opportunity, when one meets a Lion, is to play like a Lion. And the art is to distinguish them from the antelope.

1 comment:

  1. Great post!!Thanks for sharing it with us....really needed. In Tagalog, the word Binhi means “seed for planting.” An acorn is a perfect example of this word. It starts out as a tiny seed that ends up growing into a strong oak tree. From tiny beginnings grown big changes, and it all starts with a seed!.. Mandaluyong Acupuncture Clinic

    ReplyDelete